Wednesday, January 30, 2013

When Friends Die

I wrote a while back about how I hate funerals.  I wrote it after attending a funeral I really felt I needed to attend, having skipped a few I should have attended.  

There's another thing I'm not fond of, and once again failed miserably.  It's visiting in the hospital.  I can do it right? I can do anything I want.  I have done it and that proves I can.  When it's someone you haven't seen in years, and maybe weren't super close to but still called friend, it's not something you should skip.

The problem with NOT visiting at the hospital is missing that chance.  So Roy had been in and out of the hospital and even a couple of nursing homes over the past couple of years.  His health hadn't been good for a while and so this last trip to the hospital everybody had to know there was a chance it would be his last. I didn't go, and now I can't.

Please don't think my callous when I say I won't be losing sleep.  I hadn't seen him in probably at least 3 years and he knew what I thought of him.  Sometimes it's good to leave things like that.  You don't always need a final farewell, or to be there when someone actually goes.  I wasn't ever really close to him or his family and I'm comfortable with how things were the last time we saw each other.  They'll be better the next time we see each other.

Here's the thing, and the reason for this.  Roy was a guy who would do anything he could for almost anybody.  He was one of a handful of people who helped me move the last time I moved.  That was a bit more than 6 years ago.  Matter of fact- he called so early that morning wondering when we were going to start that he woke me up. 

If nothing else at all he was enthusiastic and tried hard.  Is there really anything more you can ask of anybody?  

So, Roy.  Sleep well.  Your heaven is the Montana mountains and rivers of your youth.  You talked of them like you were still there every weekend, may you find them just as you left them.  Not sure if heaven had a choir without a leader but I'm sure it's ok if you simply sit back and enjoy the music...not like that's your style.

No comments:

Post a Comment